These days my motto is: Because a pulse doesn’t mean you’re alive.
What gets me up in the morning is a desire to help people live out their faith in practical ways today. Oh, and also my family. My three kids get up early and want breakfast!
I’m a husband, dad, and the pastor at Westminster Church.
I love Jesus, my family, the Bible, writing a daily devotional called “Up!” (you can read current issues and/or sign up here), songwriting, blogging, ketchup chips, and flavored coffee.
If you meet me at Starbucks you might find me with a tall peppermint Latte.
Oh, and one day I hope to own a rowboat. Just because it seems awesome.
My pet peeves are TVs in restaurants, wet socks, out-of-date websites, mosquitoes, hangnails, and DVDs that won’t play because they have too many scratches.
In 2015 I served as the Teen Week Chaplain at Glen Mohr Camp, and received an award for “Best Blog” by the Canadian Church Press. How encouraging!
In July 2016, I was also blessed to share a workshop about engaging young people with the Bible at the national Canada Youth conference.
My heroes are Jesus (from Nazareth), my wife (from my life), Charles Ingalls (from Little House on the Prairie) and Thomas More (from A Man For All Seasons). In that order.
Raised in Bracebridge, it was all about hockey. And then by high school it became all about music.
I’ve worked as a rock musician, mostly for the band Meraudio, and as a political aide at Queen’s Park.
In the past few years I’ve had some articles published on faith, leadership and parenting, spoken to groups about culture, technology and change, and am loving pastoring Westminster—a church who continues to experience vitality and renewal.
I should also say that on my days off I like to wear track pants, play Lego and make pancakes. Sometimes they have chocolate chips. But only when I’m feeling crazy.
Here’s a few fun facts: I…
- served as an extra in a Nicolas Cage movie
- appeard as the guitar player in Deric Ruttan’s hit video When You Come Around
- was a finalist in the 2001 ISC International Song Contest
- performed at Canadian Music Week and two Mariposa Folk Festivals
- did a 3-song publishing deal with Song / ATV Tree Music Publishing
And then there’s this. I believe…
- in prayer and that humans do have wings (they’re called knees)
- that the castle of your character is built one brick at a time
- that if you have a life-changing faith your faith should be changing your life
- and that you can’t lead from the middle
My two favorite Bible verses right now are:
- John 10:10: “The thief [Satan] comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I [Jesus] came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
- Mark 13:31: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Jesus).
If you want to contact me feel free to:
- Comment on one of these blogs
- Email me at matthew [at] matthewruttan [dot] com
- Follow me on Twitter: @MatthewRuttan
- Search for me on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/MatthewRuttanUp), LinkedIn, and Instagram (matthewruttan5)