The Pulse Podcast is about living abundantly wholeheartedly.
It includes feature topics, interviews, and weekly biblical studies.
This episode is a talk with Mikhaela Gray-Beerman about human trafficking.
Yes, modern slavery still exists. It’s the nightmare that isn’t a dream. In this episode we talk about:
- Different kinds of trafficking
- The Canadian situation and the recent increase in online exploitation
- Ways to help
- Online predators, what they look for in youth (through social media and gaming) and how ‘grooming’ occurs
- How pornography fuels trafficking
- A personal story from Mikhaela about what motivates her to be engaged in this fight
Before we get started, let me tell you a bit about my guest. Mikhaela is an anti-trafficking advocate and educator. The work she does is informed by the many inspiring women and girls who have entrusted their stories with her. She is the host of a RogersTV television program on human trafficking called Freedom Fighters: Code Gray. During her graduate studies at York University, she completed her Masters of Education thesis on the trafficking of women and girls in India. Earlier in 2021 she was also selected as one of York University’s ‘Top 30 Under 30 Changemakers.’ I’ve come to know Mikhaela personally over the past few years and really value her passion, intelligence and vibrant faith.
Please note that this is serious and sensitive subject matter.
Let’s listen in.
Notes, references and links:
- Canadian Human Trafficking Hotline: 1-833-900-1010
- EFC Pornography Action Kit
- “The Porn Problem,” book by Vaughan Roberts
Canadian Christian anti-trafficking organizations:
- Defend Dignity (there are prayer/study guides available here – scroll to bottom)
- Elora’s House
In 2018 I released a book called Up! – 313 devotionals to help you start your day in a biblical, relevant way. 100% of the proceeds are going to Fight4Freedom, an anti-trafficking organization. You can learn more about the book here.